How Long Does Invisalign Take?
With Invisalign’s innovative and comfortable approach, you’ll be able to achieve a beautiful and confident smile without the hassle of metal braces. Discover how long does Invisalign take and what’s involved in the transformative process.
Do you want to address your crowd of unruly teeth, but you want to do it without having to wear noticeable metal braces? Or maybe you had braces as a teenager, but your teeth have since shifted back out of alignment? Invisalign is an excellent treatment option for patients who want to straighten teeth without anyone knowing they’re doing it.
And as someone who’s probably considering Invisalign, you probably have a lot of questions.
How long does Invisalign take to straighten teeth? Am I a good candidate? How does it work? Where do I find an Invisalign dentist near me?
To give you a better idea of how long does Invisalign take to straighten teeth, here’s a brief overview that we’ve put together.
Invisalign Treatment Plan
There are many types of orthodontic treatment, traditional braces being the most popular.
But Invisalign is a modern, clear alternative with several advantages over traditional braces.
And the most notable advantage of Invisalign is the fact that it is virtually invisible.
You receive Invisalign in the form of custom-made Invisalign trays (sometimes called “aligners”) that fit over your teeth and are changed out every two weeks. Each piece of aligner should be worn for about 22 hours per day. This gives you 2 hours per day to brush, floss, and eat without them in.
The Invisalign system is very effective for treating mild to moderate crowding, gap or spacing, and bite alignment issues.
Your dentist will take impressions, x-rays, and photos of your teeth to formulate a personalized treatment plan to straighten your teeth.
With Invisalign, you won’t have to deal with molds and awful-tasting fluoride trays. The process is completely digital, pain-free, and accurate.
The treatment length answer on how long does Invisalign take to straighten your teeth will depend on your case’s complexity, but most patients can expect to wear Invisalign for about 9-18 months.
Now we hope this answers your question about how long does Invisalign take to straighten teeth. But that’s not all you need to know about this treatment option.
Learn about how Dayo Dental works.
Invisalign, however, is not for everyone
We see a lot of advertisements for Invisalign, which gives the impression that this treatment to straighten teeth is for everyone. Unfortunately, that’s not the case.
Though it can now be used to treat a wider range of complicated dental problems, Invisalign is not recommended for patients with the following issues:
- Severely Crowded Teeth: When there is very little space or gap between the teeth, Invisalign trays might not be able to shift them into place.
- Severely Overbite and Underbite: These require the treatment of metal braces, which Invisalign’s clear aligners cannot do.
- Gaps in Teeth: Too large gaps can be closed with dental bonding or porcelain veneers.
- Teeth that are rotated by more than 20 degrees: This can make it difficult to place the clear aligners correctly on the teeth.
- Intrusions and Extrusions: These are teeth that have moved vertically in the jawbone and might not be able to be shifted with Invisalign trays.
Read ‘Can Invisalign Fix Overbite?‘ to learn if Invisalign can fix your overbite.
You’ll also need to ensure that you don’t have an existing periodontal disease before starting Invisalign treatment.
We’ve seen many cases where patients have spent thousands of dollars on veneers, crowns, bridges, and other dental cosmetic procedures, but their periodontal disease eventually destroys all the work.
Examples of Cases That Can Be Treated With Invisalign
Below are the three different types of cases that can be treated with Invisalign:
1. Adults: Most cases involving adult patients are relatively simple and can be completed within 12 months. You may be a good candidate for Invisalign if you have mild to moderate crowding or spacing and your teeth are in generally good alignment.
2. Teens with fully erupted permanent teeth: These patients often have more severe crowding or spacing issues, and their teeth may not be in ideal alignment. The average treatment time that Invisalign takes to straighten teeth for this is around 12-18 months.
3. Pre-restorative patients: This type of treatment is done in preparation for other dental procedures, such as porcelain veneers or crowns. The goal is to ensure that the teeth are in ideal alignment before the procedure is performed. Treatment time for wearing Invisalign varies depending on the complexity of the case but can take anywhere from 6-12 months.
We’ve also added below the contradictions for Invisalign, which are as follows:
- Active compromised periodontal condition
- Mixed dentition
- TMJ dysfunction
Your Invisalign Success Rate Is Dependent On You
Though successful treatment outcomes depend on your orthodontist’s well-trained hands, the biggest advice we can give our clients is to be diligent in their Invisalign treatment.
Remember, the success of your treatment is largely dependent on YOU. Once you start your treatment to straighten your teeth, it’s important that you follow through with it until the end. Otherwise, you run the risk of lengthening your treatment time or even undoing all the progress you’ve made.
That being said, here are our top tips for successful Invisalign treatment:
- Wear your aligners for 20 to 22 hours every day. The only time you should take them out is to eat, brush and floss your teeth.
- Clean your aligners every day. You can do this by brushing them with a soft-bristled toothbrush and cold water. Never skip a day.
- Be gentle with your aligners. Don’t chew on them or play with them with your tongue.
- Don’t smoke while wearing your aligners. Smoking can cause permanent staining on the Invisalign trays.
- Keep up with your oral hygiene. Be sure to brush and floss your teeth twice a day and use mouthwash.
- Don’t lose your clear aligners! Keep them in their case when you’re not wearing them.
- Don’t lose your aligners! Keep them in their case when you’re not wearing them.
The best way to know if Invisalign is right for you is to consult with a qualified dentist. Every case is unique, and only a trained professional can give you the best answer on how to straighten your teeth.
Get a no-obligation appointment with one of Dayo Dental’s professional advisors. Let our partner Mexico dentist help you determine the best way to achieve your dream smile. Contact us today to get started with your Invisalign journey.